My Back to School tips
- The teacher sets the tone- You know that old adage about not smiling until Christmas? Well, don't do it. You want your students to feel welcome and at ease. Create a positive classroom environment from day 1.
- Environment- how do you get your classroom ready? I choose a theme to decorate my room. I prefer to choose a literature theme (Alice in Wonderland, Mary Poppins, Peter Pan, Dr. Seuss) to promote reading. Also think about desk set-up. Do you want the kids seated in rows facing you or do you prefer clusters of tables to promote group work?
- Rules and routines- Spend the time that first week teaching rules and routines. It will make your life much easier for the rest of the school year. Be clear and consistent.
- Get yourself some Sharpie oil-based paint markers. You can write on the desks with them and the writing stays! I love to write the kids names on the corners of the desks. Then they easily erase with an Expo marker. Then just wipe off. I love them!
Common Core mathematics is about creating problem solvers. For that, you need good math instruction. This is a cute chart I made for the eight mathematical practices. I copy two onto a sheet and have students paste it into their problem solving journal. I used kid friendly language.
The zip drive has the same chart in three formats: PDF, PNG and editable Powerpoint. Best of all it's free!!!!
Classroom Decor Sets
Are you trying to determine your theme for this school year? Look no further! I have four sets to choose from: Alice in Wonderland, Wizard of Oz, Mary Poppins and Peter Pan. AND...they only cost $4 or $5 depending on how big the file was. Get your room ready today!
The sets include:
- Lesson Plan book cover
- Name plates
- Name tags
- Alphabet bunting
- Numbers 1-10
- Months of the year
- Days of the week (large and small)
- AND Pencil top pennants for birthdays and rewards
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Google Plus: https://plus.google.com/+LisaRoblesLisaTeachR/posts