It's time for Book Talk Tuesday!
Linking with Deanna Jump!
It's been 50 years!
We're all familiar with this classic. I just wanted to connect it with the Common Core standards!
Integration of Knowledge and Ideas:
Make connections between the text of a story or drama and a visual or oral presentation of the text, identifying where each version reflects specific descriptions and directions in the text.
Since this is a classic, there are different presentations you can use in conjunction with the text. Here is the YouTube video of the book read by Shel Silverstein.
Here is a comic strip version of the story with the tree played by mom. It's Zits by Jerry Scott and Jim Borgman.
- Is the video what you visualized in your head? How is it similar or different?
- How is the comic strip similar or different from the story?
- What does the author of the comic strip mean by "happy-ish"?
- Create a wordle of the words that you think embody this story.
- Create a giving tree in your classroom or school and donate the gifts to a local hospital.
- Write a companion book told from the tree's point of view.
Hope this was helpful. Enjoy!